[Air-L] Platform Data Access Report

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Tue May 31 10:41:10 PDT 2022

Fascinating report. The detail is remarkable, insightful and helpful.
Thank-you for sharing and all the work. These reports take incredible
patience. It is well written as well.

I notice deletions are mentioned in the context of holding data but not
(unless I missed it) in the context of user-generated deletions. When a
user generates a social data action (Tweet, RT, reply, etc.) then later
deletes it, any researcher who may be holding the datapoint must also
delete it or render it inaccessible. Very few do, in my experience. The
"right to be forgotten" is still operational under GDPR, in my
understanding of it, though I'd be happy to be updated. However, if some of
you are holding my deleted Tweets in Europe in a spreadsheet, are you
compliant? The term forgotten is not in the report. The term suspended does
not appear in the report either but is fundamental to compliance with
Twitter research terms. You cannot look at data from suspended accounts.
Many academics are doing Twitter or Reddit data work because of generous
data access options. I would say account suspensions and user deletions are
fairly significant issues that should be kept in focus as systemic and
ethically problematic failures in the current spreadsheet-centric paradigm
for examining social data artifacts.

--
Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter