[Air-L] Mapping data practices and ethical awareness in government organisations

Schaefer, M.T. (Mirko) m.t.schaefer at uu.nl
Thu May 19 03:38:17 PDT 2022

Dear all,

at Utrecht Data School, we developed the Data Ethics Decision Aid<https://dataschool.nl/en/deda/>, as a dialogic process for critically reviewing data projects and assessing their social impact (see also Franzke, Muis, Schäfer 2021<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10676-020-09577-5>). We use DEDA for participatory observation of data practices, mostly in (local) government organisations. By now we have collected fieldnotes from more than 80 DEDA workshops.

Here is finally our paper on how we use DEDA for participatory observation, and how it enables mapping data practices and ethics in government organisations:

Siffels, Lotje, David van den Berg, Mirko Tobias Schäfer, Iris Muis. 2022. Public Values and Technological Change: Mapping how municipalities grapple with data ethics. http://mtschaefer.net/media/uploads/docs/Public-Values-and-Technological-Change_pre-print.pdf

It will appear in the forthcoming OA volume<https://link.springer.com/book/9783030961794>: Hepp, Andreas, Juliane Jarke, Leif Kramp (eds). New Perspectives in Critical Data Studies: The Ambivalences of Data Power. Palgrave.

At the forthcoming DataPower Conference (Bremen), Utrecht Data School together with Theo Röhle (University of Gothenburg) and Petter Falk (Karlstad University) will present preliminary findings from mapping data practices using DEDA in Sweden, the Netherlands, and Germany. We invite critical data studies colleagues to speak with us about expanding this participatory observation approach across more national contexts.

Best wishes,
mirko

Mirko Tobias Schäfer | Associate Professor |
Faculty of Science Lead at Utrecht Data School |
Department of Information & Computing Sciences |
Utrecht University | ICS | Princetonplein 5 | 3584 CC Utrecht |
 M: m.t.schaefer at uu.nl<mailto:m.t.schaefer at uu.nl> | W: www.mtschaefer.net<http://www.mtschaefer.net>

<http://mtschaefer.net/media/uploads/docs/Public-Values-and-Technological-Change_pre-print.pdf>