[Air-L] Searching for scales and questionnaires to measure photography skills/knowledge

Nitin Verma nitin.verma at utexas.edu
Wed Jun 15 14:38:16 PDT 2022

Hello everyone!

I'm a Ph.D. student at the UT Austin iSchool, and I'm currently finalizing a recruitment instrument for my dissertation study on the public perception of deepfake technology, and I'm looking to sample from among the general public.

To address my research questions I need to ask potential participants about their photography/videography skills and technical knowledge about it. I have been unable to find any validated scales or questionnaires that measure this technical knowledge. So, I have drafted a questionnaire that consists of items that ask about participants' familiarity with concepts like exposure, focal length, depth of field, frame rate, camera types, familiarity with post-processing tools like Photoshop and Lightroom, etc.

However, without any way to establish the validity and coverage of my questionnaire, I am a little hesitant to move forward with the design of my survey. Could you all please share resources that can help me develop a reliable questionnaire on people's technical (or general) knowledge of photography and videography (and perhaps, graphic design)?

Thank you!

Best,
Nitin Verma
Ph.D. Student,
School of Information, The University of Texas at Austin