[Air-L] Call for Submissions // PDC 2022 Workshop // Creative Entrances to Co-Design: Exploring Collaboration through Fiction, Fairy Tales, and Games

Sarah Rüller sarah.rueller at uni-siegen.de
Fri Jun 10 05:39:25 PDT 2022

Apologies for cross-posting

Please forward this e-mail to potentially interested researchers, practitioners, activists, and designers (all career stages)

Creative Entrances to Co-Design:
Exploring Collaboration through Fiction, Fairy Tales, and Games

Hybrid Workshop at the Participatory Design Conference (PDC) 2022 (https://pdc2022.org/)
Tuesday, August 30th, 2022, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) & Online (hybrid)

Application deadline: June 12th, 2022, 23:59 (Anywhere on Earth)
https://creative-co.design/

Design fiction, storytelling, and games provide creative entrances to co-design activities with different groups. These have emerged from a need to develop joint perspectives, a joint language and technological imagination as prerequisites for participatory approaches and co-design.

With our workshop, we seek to create a practice-oriented and reflective space exploring answers to questions like the following ones: What potential does fiction, fairy tales and games carry regarding creative and low-threshold entrances to co design? How do we genuinely co-design without enforcing our, often external, perception on people’s realities and needs? How does creativity in co-design look like thinking from the very beginning, before setting up the research design?

We invite researchers, practitioners, activists, and designers (all career stages) who are working in settings that are socially and culturally diverse, who bring together people of a broad age range and who have tried creative approaches in their co-design activities. Working in groups to co-design and further develop creative entrances, this workshop will explore and reflect upon the potential of design fiction, storytelling, and games to foster creativity in co-design activities and to support (technological) imagination. As a result, we plan to co-host together with the participants a digital exhibition with the results of the workshop.

We welcome and appreciate submissions in various formats:

·       traditional workshop papers, short essays, reflections, or motivational letters (up to 5 pages, excl. references. We recommend using the template provided by PDC. https://pdc2022.org/submission-formatting/)
·       video and audio recordings (max. 5 minutes) about experiences from previous co-design activities and overall research designs
·       reflections, including visual and audio material (if existent) from previous and/or current co-design activities.

We further encourage applications to submit existing creations, such as games, co-written tales, and fictions, that can be subject to further development and discussion in the working group activities. All submissions should come with a short bio of the applicant(s). For better planning, we ask the applications for an indication of preferred participation format (online or on-site).
Submissions or questions can be sent to submission at creative-co.design.

Organizers:
·       Sarah Rüller, Konstantin Aal, Anne Weibert, Belén Giménez (University of Siegen, Germany)
·       Michael Muller (IBM Research)
·       Mark Blythe (Northumbria University, UK)
·       Yasmin B. Kafai (University of Pennsylvania, USA)

Check out our workshop website (https://creative-co.design/) to find more information about the formats and the application process.
Please share the event widely among your networks and reach out to us if you have further questions.

Sarah Rüller M.Sc.
Pronouns (She/Her)

Researcher // CRC 1187 - Media of Cooperation
PhD candidate // Information Systems and New Media

University of Siegen

Kohlbettstraße 15 // 57072 Siegen // Room: US-E 103

Phone: +49 271 740 3474