[Air-L] Critical Dataset Studies Reading List

Mike Ananny ananny at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:44:19 PDT 2022

(With apologies for cross-posts...)

Dear All,

The Knowing Machines Team wanted to share a new resource that we think
might be of interest to this group:

    *Critical Dataset Studies Reading List
    <https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list>**
    *[ https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list ]

We've been using the list to reflect on the growing literature on
Machine Learning datasets, work that many of you have been core to and
creating for some time!

We intend the list as a living resource for dataset scholars, students,
and reflective practitioners -- a way to see connections among
disciplines, traditions, and methods, and a way to reflect on how
datasets construct worldviews and convene stakes.

The list is organized into sections that we hope might be helpful to
different perspectives and starting points (see TOC below), and it's
very much inspired by the "Critical Algorithms Studies
<https://socialmediacollective.org/reading-lists/critical-algorithm-studies/>"
reading list that Tarleton Gillespie and Nick Seaver developed several
years ago.

Like all such lists, this one is never complete, very likely missing
relevant items, and only improves through suggestions. We've created a
submission form at the bottom of the list and warmly invite anyone to
suggest a dataset-related resource that they think would be good to add.

Finally, this list is very much a team accomplishment, growing out of
the collective thoughtfulness of Franny Corry, Edward B. Kang, Hamsini
Sridharan, Sasha Luccioni, Mike Ananny, and Kate Crawford -- and only
possible because there is so much excellent work rapidly emerging from
engaged interdisciplinary communities like this one.

     All best,
     -- Mike.

***

/*Critical Dataset Studies Reading List - Table of Contents [July 2022]*/

1. STARTING POINTS
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#starting_points>

2. CONTEXTUALIZING THE STUDY OF DATASETS
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#contextualizing_the_study_of_datasets>

3. PUBLIC SOURCES OF DATASETS
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#public_sources_of_datasets>

4. STUDYING DATASET PRODUCTION
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#studying_dataset_production>

5. ANALYSES OF TRAINING DATASETS
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#analyses_of_training_datasets>

<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#responses_to_dataset_problems>

7. DATASET DOCUMENTATION PRACTICES
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#dataset_documentation_practices>

8. CONFERENCES FOCUSED ON DATASETS
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#conferences_focused_on_datasets>

9. PRESS TREATMENT OF DATASETS
<https://knowingmachines.org/reading-list#press_treatment_of_datasets>

***

--
*MIKE ANANNY**
*+ /New articles/: 'Public': A pandemic diary of a future idea
<https://georgetownlawtechreview.org/making-up-political-people-how-social-media-create-the-ideals-definitions-and-probabilities-of-political-speech/GLTR-07-2020/>
| Anticipatory News Infrastructures
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1461444820914873?journalCode=nmsa>
[with Megan Finn | preprint <https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv/2jtns/>]
+ /Books/: Networked Press Freedom
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/networked-press-freedom> [MIT Press]  |
Bauhaus Futures <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/bauhaus-futures> [MIT
Press, co-edited with Laura Forlano & Molly Wright Steenson]
+ /Faculty Co-director/: MASTS <https://www.uscmasts.org/> [Media as
SocioTechnical Systems]
+ /Faculty Affiliate/: Center on Science, Technology, and Public Life
<https://dornsife.usc.edu/stpl>, University of Southern California
+ /Associate Professor/, Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
<https://annenberg.usc.edu/>, University of Southern California
+ mike.ananny.org <http://mike.ananny.org/> | @ananny
<https://twitter.com/ananny> | ananny at usc.edu