[Air-L] Virtual Cultures in Pandemic Times

Tom Boellstorff tboellst at uci.edu
Sat Apr 9 07:11:39 PDT 2022

Dear all: the documentary Virtual Cultures in Pandemic Times is now freely available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgJKr744hY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgJKr744hY>. This film, by the wonderful filmmaker Bernhard Drax, is about research I conducted with three colleagues about how people were using Animal Crossing and Second Life during the early days of the pandemic.

Bernhard really is a remarkable filmmaker, who also directed Our Digital Selves (https://youtu.be/GQw02-me0W4 <https://youtu.be/GQw02-me0W4>), a film about earlier collaborative research I conducted regarding disability and virtual worlds. I term this kind of work “paraethnographic film,” about which I recently published an article in Visual Anthropology Review (https://escholarship.org/uc/item/512046md), including a teaching supplement (https://www.visualanthropologyreview.org/var371-suppl-boellstorff). I hope you enjoy it! All the best, Tom Boellstorff