[Air-L] 4S Open Panel on templates, formats and models

Lingel, Jessa jessa.lingel at asc.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 5 06:03:59 PDT 2022

Hello AoIR friends,
Please consider sending your work to our 4S Open Panel on templates, formats and models.  Description and link below!
Templates / Plantillas / Modelos: https://www.4sonline.org/131-templates-plantillas-modelos/
This panel explores the politics and poetics of templates. Like formats, protocols, and standards, templates can be found in nearly all domains of knowledge and practice, imposing uniformity, reducing complexity, and allowing for the proliferation of communicative and material forms. Templates are crucial to organization and work across a range of professions, including architecture, publishing, genetic engineering, and nursing. Accordingly, templates vary in degree of elaboration, institutionalization, visibility, and consequence. They surface in struggles over legitimacy, inclusion, and authenticity, if only to recede again into the technological unconscious. Templates establish norms of consistency and deviation, configuring our classifications and evaluations, our sense of sameness and difference, self and other.

This panel solicits proposals in English, Spanish or Portuguese that grapple with templates across contexts and from a range of interpretive perspectives. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

  *   Templates as organizational, managerial, or bureaucratic technologies
  *   The relationship between templates and other aesthetic classifications (e.g., genre or style) in film, architecture, music, literature, visual arts, etc.
  *   “Template” as rhetorical device
  *   Templates as representations of inequality
  *   The use of templates in projects of carcerality and/or state violence
  *   The role of templates in the history of computing
  *   Templates in urban governance and planning
  *   Templates as ludic and improvisational forms
  *   Templates in finance, economics, or marketing
  *   Templates in academic knowledge production, scientific discovery, or publishing

Across these different topics, we are particularly interested in perspectives and analysis that draw from the Global South and/or BIPOC knowledge practices.

Contact:

Aaron Shapiro, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Jessa Lingel, University of Pennsylvania, Annenberg School for Communication
Diogo Pereira Henriques, Aarhus University

amshap at unc.edu<mailto:amshap at unc.edu>, jlingel at asc.upenn.edu<mailto:jlingel at asc.upenn.edu>, dph at cc.au.dk<mailto:dph at cc.au.dk>

Jessa Lingel

{she/her/hers | associate professor}

{Annenberg School for Communication}