[Air-L] OPEN POSITION: TT Assistant Professor in Critical Digital Media Studies @ Fordham University

Gregory Donovan gregory.donovan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:48:25 PDT 2018

Hi Everyone -

The Department of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor in Critical Digital Media Studies to commence September 1, 2019. The successful applicant will take a critical stance in their theoretical and methodological approach to understanding digital media, where critical implies a foregrounding of traditionally marginalized perspectives or a decolonization of dominant structures, forms, and practices. We are especially interested in interdisciplinary applicants whose scholarship and pedagogy engages the public through means such as policy, community-based learning, participatory research and design, or media production. We ask that candidates submit applications electronically via INTERFOLIO at apply.interfolio.com/55545 <http://apply.interfolio.com/55545> by October 26, 2018 to ensure full consideration. See extended job call below for additional info.

—
OPEN POSITION: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Critical Digital Media Studies
The Department of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University, The Jesuit University of New York, invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor to commence September 1, 2019.  The position will be based at Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan, with opportunity to contribute to the Rose Hill campus in the Bronx as well. While this position will primarily serve the department’s Digital Technology and Emerging Media undergraduate major, the ideal candidate would also be willing to contribute to one or more related majors and programs.  These include the department’s majors in Communication and Culture; Film and Television; and Journalism, as well as our Master’s Program in Public Media and the undergraduate interdisciplinary program in New Media and Digital Design.

About the Position
Applicants are sought in the area of Critical Digital Media Studies. The successful applicant will take a critical stance in their theoretical and methodological approach to understanding digital media, where critical implies a foregrounding of traditionally marginalized perspectives or a decolonization of dominant structures, forms, and practices. We are especially interested in interdisciplinary applicants whose scholarship and pedagogy engages the public through means such as policy, community-based learning, participatory research and design, or media production.

Applicants’ object of analysis need not be restricted to digital media but should be attentive to the global historical shifts brought about by digitality in its infrastructural, political, geographical, and technological particularity. Areas of specialization may include, but are not limited to, critical approaches to the following:

	• Digital policy and governance
	• Digital design studies/practice
	• Environmental impact of digital media and technology
	• Infrastructure and platform studies
	• Race theory and media studies
	• Queer, feminist, or crip studies of digital media
	• Social networking and activism
	• Political economy of digital media
	• Global flows of digital media
	• Surveillance and digital media
	• Big data, algorithms, and automation

Requirements
	• Ph.D. in Communication, Media Studies, or related area, with focus on critical studies in digital or social media
	• Evidence of active and promising research and publication agenda
	• Ability to teach a variety of courses designed to evolve and deepen our major in Digital Technology and Emerging Media (see DTEM course listings: https://www.fordham.edu/info/25795/digital_technology_and_emerging_media <https://www.fordham.edu/info/25795/digital_technology_and_emerging_media>)
	• Evidence of excellence in teaching
	• Commitment to mentoring and advising students

About the Department
Communication and Media Studies is an interdisciplinary department at Fordham’s Bronx and Manhattan campuses serving the largest number of majors across its five undergraduate programs, and approximately twenty graduate students a year in its one-year Public Media Masters degree.  From high technology to everyday interactions, the department critically and independently turns its attention to the connective tissue between past and present, historically grounding old and new media through ethically-infused teaching and research. We advocate the model of the publically-engaged scholar and critically-informed practitioner who is civically and socially reflective and critical through analytical and/or applied means. Our faculty includes scholars and practitioners from a range of theoretical and methodological perspectives.

We seek to attract and promote a diverse workforce to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.  We believe that cultural and intellectual diversity is central to the excellence of our academic program, and strive to create an academic community and campus culture that attracts and facilitates the development of promising and diverse teacher-scholars.  As our student body becomes increasingly diverse, we are especially interested in candidates with substantive experience and commitment to teaching and mentoring students from a range of social, cultural and economic backgrounds, and who have successfully incorporated the research of women and scholars of color into their courses.

Fordham is located in the heart of New York City, interacting on many levels with a diverse array of communities and institutions.  Through research, teaching and service, we are committed to developing and deepening our connections to the people and organizations around us.

Interested applicants should submit: (1) a cover letter with qualifications, including approach to teaching and scholarship; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) up to two samples of scholarship; (4) the names and contact information for three references; (5) and a one-page statement that addresses how your teaching, mentoring, research, scholarship, and/or community service supports Fordham's commitment to diversity and inclusion.

Application materials should be uploaded to interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/55545 <https://apply.interfolio.com/55545>.  To ensure full consideration, complete applications should be received by Friday, October 26, 2018.  Please apply to only one of our advertised tenure-track positions.  For questions or additional information, please contact Claudia Rivera at crivera51@@fordham.edu.

Fordham is an independent, Catholic University in the Jesuit tradition that welcomes applications from all backgrounds. Fordham is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and women, people of color and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. Same-sex spouses are eligible for benefits.

--
Gregory T. Donovan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Communication and Media Studies

Joseph A. Martino Hall
45 Columbus Ave, Office 713
New York, NY 10023

http://gtd.nyc <http://gtd.nyc/>  |  @gdonovan