[Air-L] Got ethics?

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Tue Oct 9 12:43:25 PDT 2018

Of course you do.

In addition: if you have internet research ethics on your mind, on
behalf of my co-chairs and the AoIR Ethics Working Group, you are warmly
invited to our open discussion of the DRAFT overview/introduction to IRE
3.0:

Thursday, 11/Oct/2018
2:00pm - 3:30pm
Sheraton - Salon 4

The document in its current state represents some two years of work by
many hands, including organizers and participants at the ethics-related
sessions at AoIR in 2016 and 2017, as well as subsequent conferences and
workshops organized in Aarhus, Denmark, and Oslo, Norway.  We are
especially grateful to Anna Jobin and aline franzke for their extensive
work on setting up our Slack space, the beginnings of a Zotero
repository of documents, and substantive contributions to the structure
and content of many of these documents.

The opening summary is appended below to give you an initial sense of
how the overview /introduction is shaping up, along with affiliated
documents.

We will make the document available in electronic format at the
beginning of the session, accompanied by a brief introduction and
overview from the co-chairs.  The idea is to solicit your further
critical comments and suggestions for improving the document over the
coming year, with a view towards final submission at the AoIR 2019 meeting.

We know the conference schedule is packed full of compellingly
interesting panels and presentations - but we hope many of you will be
able to find the time and energy to attend the session on Thursday. As
with our previous ethics documents, this work depends centrally on your
individual and collective wisdom and experience for its further
development.
Safe travels and see you there,

- charles ess, Co-Chair, AoIR IRE 3.0 Ethics Working Group;
Anja Bechman (Aarhus), Co-Chair,
aline shakti franzke (University of Duisburg-Essen), Co-Chair
Michael Zimmer (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee), Co-Chair
Anne Hove Henriksen (Aarhus), Research Assistant and Administrator
The AoIR IRE 3.0 Ethics Working Group, including: David J. Brake, Ane
Kathrine Gammelby, Nele Heise, Annette Markham, Katrin Tildenberg, and
Paul J. Reilly.

==
Summary
This document introduces Internet Research Ethics (IRE) 3.0.  We begin
with a review of the AoIR ethical approaches and guidelines that we now
designate as IRE 1.0 (Ess and the AoIR ethics working committee, 2002)
and IRE 2.0 (Markham and Buchanan 2012; Ess, 2017):  while driven by
on-going changes and developments in the technological, legal, and
ethical contexts that shape internet research, IRE 1.0 and 2.0 ground a
basic ethical approach that continues as foundational for IRE 3.0.
IRE 3.0 is then illustrated by way of two emerging elements – namely,
greater attention to stages of research and what has become a standard
problem of informed consent in Big Data research approaches.  We then
list and more briefly discuss the primary additional ethical challenges
in IRE 3.0 as identified by the AoIR Ethics Working Group (EWG).  We
offer a general structure for ethical analysis, designed to help
identify the ethically-relevant issues and questions, along with
additional suggestions for how to begin to analyze and address these
challenges in more detail.
We aim to take up and exemplify this general structure as guiding more
extensive analyses of specific modules in IRE 3.0, to be developed by
teams made up of EWG members. Our first module on Artificial
Intelligence and Machine Learning is being developed by Anja Bechmann
and Bendert Zevenbergen.  A second module on Corporate Data is being
developed.  These specific modules will be included in a second series
of documents, to be made available as they are ready as well as modified
in light of subsequent developments.
In these ways, we aim to produce “living documents,” i.e., documents
that remain open to expansion and revision as ongoing technological
developments demand.
==

--
Professor in Media Studies