[Air-L] Call for papers: Sexual Violence, Social Movements, and Social Media Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology Issue 13 3/4

Radhika G gradhika2012 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:39:13 PDT 2018

*Call for papers: Sexual Violence, Social Movements, and Social MediaAda: A
Journal of Gender, New Media, and TechnologyIssue 13 3/4*

Co-editors: Pallavi Guha (University of Maryland, College Park), Radhika
Gajjala (Bowling Green State University), and Carol Stabile (University of
Maryland, College Park)

Over the past decade, social media have facilitated practices of sexual
violence (stalking, doxxing, harassment, bullying, revenge porn, genocide,
etc.) against socially and economically marginalized individuals and
groups. At the same time, social media have allowed survivors and allies
to report and draw attention to sexual violence, establishing patterns and
sharing testimony about the crimes committed against them. Feminist
activists throughout the world have been using social media to draw
attention to and fight against sexual violence. Using hashtags on Twitter
and Instagram, posting images on Tumblr, blogging, and otherwise
circumventing traditional structures of power, protected by media
gatekeepers, feminists have enhanced awareness and advocated for change.

This issue invites research and scholarship that examines sexual violence
through multiple lenses (including but not limited to race, class,
immigration status, caste, gender orientation, religion) on a range
of topics related to social media. We are particularly interested in work
that contributes to theorizing and working toward social change.

Contributions in formats other than the traditional essay are encouraged;
please contact the editor to discuss specifications and/or multimodal
contributions. Drawings, sounds, videos that come along with written
explanations of their narratives are also welcome.

You can send your proposal as a .pdt or .doc document before the June 25,
2018 deadline. Please use “Ada Issue 13 3/4 Contribution” for your subject
line and include the following in the body of your message:

   - Your name and a short biography
   - A 150 word maximum abstract
   - A list of five keywords/tags
   - Preferred email address
   - Citation style used (if applicable)

*Complete submissions should be sent by June 25,
2018 to editor at adanewmedia.org <editor at adanewmedia.org>. *Contributions
should be no more than 2,500 words.

About *Ada*:

*Ada* is an online, open access, open source, peer-reviewed journal run
by feminist media scholars. The journal’s first issue was published online
in November 2012. Since that launch, Ada articles have received more than
500,000 page views. Ada operates a review process that combines feminist
mentoring with the rigor of peer review. The peer review process is also
open and transparent. We have detailed guidelines concerning the review
process at the following link http://adanewmedia.org/
beta-reader-and-review-policy/ and we encourage submitters to take a look
before submitting to make sure that they are comfortable with such
a  process with public dimensions. For this issue, we will be experimenting
with Google docs for our open peer review process.

We do not — and will never — charge fees for publishing your materials.
Unlike for-profit journals, you own the copyright for your article. We
share your scholarship using the Creative Commons License with which you
are most comfortable.

Best,

Carol
_______________________________
Carol Stabile, Managing Editor, Fembot
Co-editor, Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media and Technology
She/her/hers

___
Radhika Gajjala
Co-editor of ADA: Journal of Gender and New Media (adanewmedia.org)

Professor,
School of Media and Communication
and
American Culture Studies Program