[Air-L] Google Ngram studies

U. Reips u.reips at ikerbasque.org
Wed Aug 1 09:02:48 PDT 2018

Hi folks,
for a research project we are seeking unpublished and grey literature
Google Ngram studies. Please let Nadja (in Cc:) or me know if you are
aware of one or have done one. We'd be interested in receiving an
abstract type summary of the results.

To provide an example of what we mean take our article "The changing
psychology of culture in German-speaking countries: A Google Ngram
study" (DOI: 10.1002/ijop.12428), available from
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316737853_The_changing_psychology_of_culture_in_German-speaking_countries_A_Google_Ngram_study

Abstract: This article provides evidence for the long-term
affiliation between ecological and cultural changes in
German-speaking countries, based on the assumptions derived from
social change and human development theory. Based on this theory, the
increase in urbanisation, as a measure of ecological change, is
associated with significant cultural changes of psychology. Whereas
urbanisation is linked to greater individualistic values and
materialistic attitudes, rural environments are strongly associated
with collectivistic values like allegiance, prevalence of religion,
and feelings of belonging and benevolence. Due to an increase in the
German urbanisation rate over time, our study investigates whether
Germany and the German-speaking countries around show the presumed
changes in psychology. By using Google Books Ngram Viewer, we find
that word frequencies, signifying individualistic (collectivistic)
values, are positively (negatively) related to the urbanisation rate
of Germany. Our results indicate that predictions about implications
of an urbanising population for the psychology of culture hold true,
supporting international universality of the social change and human
development theory. Furthermore, we provide evidence for a predicted
reversal for the time during and after World War II, reflecting Nazi
propaganda and influence.

Many thanks and best wishes
ulf

--
Prof. Dr. Ulf-Dietrich Reips
Research Methods, Assessment, and iScience

http://iscience.uni-konstanz.de